WIP Wednesday

So, my WIPs this week have mainly consisted with working on my sister’s dress for her AGM on Saturday and some knitting and crochet.

Here’s L’s dress so far:

IMG_0688

You may remember that I was doing a pattern hack on the Colette Patterns Laurel. After being very despondent about this ever being finished and actually being good, I’m pretty happy with how it’s turning out. ๐Ÿ™‚ย All I need to do now is hem and apply bias binding to the neck and armholes. Unfortunately due to my overlocker being a douche, the outside looks WAAAAAYYY better than the inside. I think perhaps I need my overlocker serviced or maybe a new one as Mr. MyMuddlings suggested. Love him. โค

The lace on this dress is so pretty. Everyone who saw the lace when I was buying commented how lovely it was. We initially were going for a different lace that was a little more gypsy-esque but I saw this one and suggested it instead and I definitely think we made the right choice. ๐Ÿ™‚

IMG_0689

On top of working on this dress I have also been working on some crochet and knitting.

The crochet I’ve been working on is Freshstitches‘ Blair the Ghost Bunny amigurumi. She’s just adorable! You can find my project page on Ravelry here. All I have left is the little ghost costume to do. I’m about halfway through this.

In regards to knitting, I’ve mostly been working on my Ishbel shawl by Ysolda Teague (I think you’ll only be able to see this link if you’re a Ravelry member). I’m making it from some lovely soft and drapey viscose fingering weight yarn I picked up cheap at Spotlight. They’ve had tons of great yarns on special lately and I’ve been stocking up. I got a few different colours of the viscose yarn and also quite a few balls (one colour enough to make a sweater!) of some superwash wool from Panda. Love sales at Spotlight! ๐Ÿ™‚ You can see my Ravelry project page for Ishbel here.

Good news too that after having my birthday a couple weeks ago, I was given a Spotlight voucher and also some cash so these have been put towards purchasing fabric to make up some of the items I blogged about for my Summer Wardrobe a few weeks back. From what I have purchased I will be able to make two Renfrew tops (in black and green), Tania culottes, Cascade skirt and a bonus item of a Colette Patterns Zinnia skirt. I will be making version 1 of the Zinnia in a black rayon shirting. Can’t wait to get started on these items! ๐Ÿ™‚

P.S. I’ve finally put some of my handmade things up on Etsy. You can check them out here. I’ll have more up next week when I’ve finished the dress!

My first Laurel!

Okay, so I’ve been a bit quiet on the blog front. I’ve been consistently unwell since the honeymoon (a cold, not anything else!) and just haven’t been motivated to blog. I have still been sewing though. ๐Ÿ™‚

I finally made the Laurel. Actually, I’ve made two; one dress, one top. I’ve also made another Sorbetto top with cap sleeves. At this stage I only have pictures of the dress so I’ll share. ๐Ÿ™‚


SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

This dress was the first pattern I’d done a full bust adjustment on. I did quite a bit of pattern adjustment on this; not all positive. Read on… ๐Ÿ˜‰

Initially, I graded the pattern from a size 12 at the bodice (from my high bust measurement) to an 18 at the skirt. I lowered the neckline by 2 inches as usually (as I’m big busted) high necks don’t look so hot. Then I did the FBA, adding 2 inches. I was concerned about the arm hole after doing the FBA as it seemed to get smaller and sharper at the front edge of the armscye. Anyone else have this problem?

After putting everything together with French seams, I tried on the dress. As suspected, the arm holes were really high and quite tight. The back was also a little tight, probably should have done a size 14. I also sewed the zip in and when I did it, I didn’t catch the seam allowances so there were holes between the zip and the dress. I also had HEAPS of fabric pooling at my sides. I guess a two size grading + FBA isn’t a good recipe.

So to fix it, I just sewed up the centre back (I could still get it on without the zip) and sewed up the sides until it fit a bit better. Unfortunately this destroyed most of my pretty French seams but now I get a better fit. I also deepened the arm holes. I still have heaps of fabric at the front and the arm holes cut a little but I’ve learned a lot of lessons from this make and I still love the dress so I’ve worn it twice since I completed it last weekend. It’s also made out of fabric I thrifted on my honeymoon so there’s happy memories attached to it too. The dress is quite comfortable (apart from the slight cutting at the front of the arm holes) so I’ll definitely wear it tons more. I might cinch with a belt though to alleviate the bloaty look of the extra fabric. Pity it’s moving towards winter here in Oz so I’ll need to pop it away for next summer soon. ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

So here’s me wearing it, along with my new post-wedding hair. You have no idea how much a relief it is to have A LOT less hair. Will need to invest in some scarves for winter though! ๐Ÿ˜‰

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA